Change and Oli training

 The waning full moon in Scorpio was a bowling ball of a moon for me. Pins knocked. Whines on. But she, the moon, moves quickly and my friend, astrologer Satori, had such kind images to set me back on my feet. Satori wrote this to give me faith in the moves forward:

"It’s the difference between standing in the middle of a bowling lane as someone rolls at the pins and being a pinball bouncing off buzzers and bells, having fun and scoring points."

I love the alternative image of a pinball bouncing. Pete loves the old pinball games; loves bouncing off the buzzers and bells, loves having fun and scoring points. It's such a positive spin on the work it takes to be innovative in our approach to moving. 






I wrote to Satori and said her words were just the magic I needed to see the progress we are making. Change is a strange thing, it cannot be denied ... it can help you find yourself or make you lose your pride ..., just as Olomana sang (and Jerry Santos continues to sing) and even when I know the change is necessary I cling like an opihi to the rock.

Fortunately,  the bowling ball pinball game full moon came with the mixed blessings of the multitudes of potentialities. As I write I have just finished three weeks of a four week oli (Hawaii life ways chant) training. And this is REALLY like being BOTH in the bowling alley AND at the old school pin ball game.

 

As Pete and Luna finish the day of pulling electrical wires through a hard plastic pipe (PVC) I recorded the landmark moment, and threw in the chant "Kini A Ke Akua" I have been learning. 

Kini a Ke Akua

He mele ku'una (traditional oli)

Kini a ke akua,

Lehu a ke akua

Mano a ke akua.,

Puku'i a ke akua

Lalani akua

Pale i ka po

Puka i ke ao

Na kau pulapula

 

From the notes I have from my training, Kekuhi (our teacher) wrote:

"Emerson's Notes, 243; before invading the space of others, it is thoughtful to introduce one's self and ask for passage. In the space of equanimity, this chant provides the kanaka the opportunity to notice and to be aware of the countless energies that is beyond the senses."(This oli calls on those countless energies/elements/gods in each of the five opening lines.)

Throughout the weeks of training all of us learners, from places and motivations, across Honua, we are encouraged to take time to translate the meaning of all the mele/oli by going to an online Hawaiian dictionary, or the Hawaiian Dictionaries. For the translations I am so grateful to be using the dictionary left to me by my hula kumu Betty Lantz. The tiny blue-eyed Edmonds, Washington teacher was my first teacher of hula. It was she who pulled me gently aside one day after practice in the mid 1980's and said, "Mokihana, you are trying so hard to do the movements. Maybe ... maybe, your gift is with the words." Aue, alas Betty you were right. Though I love to dance, and can dance alone, it has not been my gift to hula in sync with the rest of the dancers.

We are making real progress with our move to be with our friends Hope and Luna (that's Luna looking into the puka -- the trench). I have enfolded the training I learn from my oli training, and unlearn or relearn the protocol for respectful interaction with all sentient beings. I am softening the ground of my being, loosening the ties on my language and the ways in which my body is used to make those sounds. Learning to breath intentionally, and giving those parts of my body the Hawaii language names shifts something in my being. Space is made for what was lost, who was lost, who was tied up.

Satori finishes her Weekend Love Forecast for this weekend with these inimitable images:

"Remember the grubby, stinky, human, and fallible bits of yourself and make sure they don’t tank the gorgeous life equation you’re building in your head or on paper. Castles in the air need bathrooms. Glass houses need a basement to change in. The mood steers us into opportunities to access innovation while allowing for human error and frailty."

Astrology and oli come from those "countless energies that is beyond the senses" lucky us who take the time to ho'olohe (listen) or look for the magic.

HAPPY MAY DAY AND LEI DAY Hawai'i nei!!!!

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragonflies, Summer Solstice and Slowly growing reef

The journey was not easy ...

Returning to the pond