Harvesting a life

 Alder leaves are falling. The first signs of Fall are here, even while our gardens continue to grow, blossom, fruit and surprise us. I found an inspiring article to consider as the physical seasons shift, and my own life syncs with Nature's timing. Written by Melissa Potter "Harvest Time" in Healing Wise: herbal ezine by Susun Weed the article begins:

"I love to look at my life as a garden. I truly love the concept of looking at life as if I were a gardener who has been given - as each of us has been given - a blessed piece of earth to tend; of being responsible for planting and harvesting and composting what I sow, through each season of my life. The seeds I plant and nurture will be the fruits I bear in this world. The seeds - whether they be healthy or not; indigenous to my region or not; heirloom or not - will transform into the plants I ultimately must harvest in my life."
Barrel garden filled with Marigolds, Scarlet Runner Beans, and Kale

 

Potter goes on, 

"I am responsible for weeding my garden -- for thinning out the places where too much growth in one area is choking out the opportunity for other parts of my garden of life to express itself. And I am responsible for singing songs of hope to the parts of my garden that struggle. The rebellious teenager in me grew up to be a self-assertive entrepreneur; the know-it-all, a passionate, inspiring teacher." 

Enjoy a bit of aloha: flowers from Hawaii sent from our friend Elaine to say "thank you"
 for sharing an oli with her and her family

 She asks a few questions: 

"I am responsible for separating the wheat from the chaff; what wisdom shall I harvest? What fruit will nourish me the most? Which plants are poisoning me? What shall I keep and what shall I refuse? This act of discernment lies upon my shoulders."

Then, Potter gathers her words and the harvest of her garden -- her life -- with these observations:

"After the harvest, I am responsible for using the abundance of gifts my garden of life produces for me; I can store my goods in the root cellar of my self, for future use. I can share my bounty with those around me in a great, harvest feast of joy. I can offer prayers of gratitude for the blessings I've received.

If I choose to let the basket of abundant fruit sit too long on the kitchen counter, it will turn back to seed and I will have to start over another day if I want to receive those gifts again. I like that I can save the seeds for wiser days.

I am responsible for disposing of the parts of my garden whose time has come. I can push my garden refuse into over-stuffed, garbage bags where the rich wisdom of its biology will waste away to noxious fumes – or I can convert the seemingly useless parts of my garden into something fertile, through composting them."

Our mo'opuna holding his daddy's thumb: cover art for the ka'ao Hand Tools

The falling Alder leaves find us living with a medicine woman, a kitten named Squeaky, a Doddle dog named Luna, a young couple, four hens and many many Tree and Plant People on land that was once a small watershed lake. Our neighbors nearest us are brothers who were born and raised here, more than eighty years ago. Al, who lives across the road from us is a friendly, generous neighbor. 

Fresh-picked Blackberries a gift from our neighbor Al

The life Pete and I began together twenty-five years ago brought two very different human people into a surprising garden sown with seeds neither of us could have imagined at the start. Astrology has been a consistent form of metering and monitoring the process of life's course. My friend and astrologer, Lara "Satori" Harris writes about this second Aquarius Full Moon.

"From the moment the Moon hit Aquarius Friday morning, we were feeling it; it being the full moon. Saturday night is peak buzz and hum. The curtain is going up on the last act. Do we know if it’s a comedy or a tragedy? Maturity means embodying good value/s regardless of whether the going is rough or easy (Venus-Saturn). The Moon rolling over Jupiter is a boost. A boost goes a long way toward putting you into cushy orbit.

Early Sunday, the Aquarius Moon opposes the Leo Sun, both at 29 degrees. The curtain closes on the drama of collective needs versus the wholeness, vitality, and integrity of the self… each self, all selves. Where do we go it alone? Alone in a crowd? Where must we join the rest of humanity? How are we doing with that? It’s on blast, so we’re sure to feel the electricity and fire of our own position..."

The overflowing effects of this Aquarius Full Moon, shows up to witness how we are not alone in this seemingly disjointed time. Flowers bloom, berries ripen, bread rises and helpful people unlikely as they appear walk across the road with abundant gifts. Old hurts and fears compost into dark, rich gardens. A small boy holds his father's thumb, intuitively telling him without words, "Don't worry", we got this!" 

Happy Full Moon in Aquarius. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragonflies, Summer Solstice and Slowly growing reef

The journey was not easy ...

Returning to the pond